Linux: Upgrading Debian

In one of my last posts the other year I was complaining about my struggle fixing Debian after performing an upgrade while following the "testing" branch. Seems all the hassle I've been through, finally paid of. My upgrade to "etch" has been a very smooth transition.
Since I was feeling adventurous, I decided to upgrade my vanilla kernel as well. The machine was running a vanilla 2.6.15.4 kernel which was becoming a little outdated. So I decided to take my chance compiling the most recent 2.6.22.3 kernel. Configuring and compiling was easy, but after a necessary reboot, iptables NAT and masquerading seemed b0rken. After googling a little bit, I discovered that the Netfilter people did a bit of refactoring in the modules and options necessary for NAT and masquerading. After enabling

-> Networking
-> Networking support (NET [=y])
-> Networking options
-> Network packet filtering framework (Netfilter) (NETFILTER
-> Core Netfilter Configuration
NF_CONNTRACK_ENABLED = [m]

the CONFIG_NF_NAT option appeared underneath "IP: Netfilter Configuration". After a 3rd compile and install, I've managed to get the configuration right and I am now running Debian Etch on a vanilla 2.6.22.3 kernel.
I guess it's nothing to be proud of ... but I am :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remove copy protection from PDF documents

The story of the Cobalt Qube

Jori Hulkkonen feat. Jerry Valuri - Lo-Fiction