So I surfed to http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/hp and ordered:
- 1 HP LaserJet 5L/6L Multiple-Sheet/No Feed Paper Jam Repair Kit
- 1 HP LaserJet 1100 Multiple Sheet Feed Paper Jam Repair Kit
The kit for the 5L comes with a new separation pad (whole assembly) and a new pickup roller. It also includes a video (on CD) showing how to replace the old parts. Very cool and easy to follow.
The kit for the 1100 comes with some instructions and pictures on a sheet of paper and a new separation pad which is only a rubber sticker. If you follow the instructions you will find it very hard to replace the separation pad. It's easier to disassemble the whole thing following these instructions I found somewhere on some forum:
- Open the printer cover and remove the Toner cartridge.
- Remove the two screws holding the Pick Up Roller assembly. Slide it to the right to take it out. Replace Pick Up Roller with a new one. Please pay attention to the orientation of the Pick Up roller and set it aside.
- Remove the two screws at the back of the printer.
- Open the little back door at the bottom on the back. Remove that screw too.
- Open the front door and remove the two screws on the top.
- Remove the two side stand pieces. Use a screw driver to push the two latches out to remove them.
- Unlatch the back cover from the two latches on each side and lift it upward to remove it.
- Pull the paper guide upward to remove it.
- Use a small flathead screw driver and gently slide the Left side of the kick plate out to loose it out.
- Lift the kick plate up till you could remove it.
- Unlatch the separation pad clip from the back and lift it up.
- Replace it with the new one.
- Do everything in reverse order.
Whatever you do, and this applies for both kits, take your time, don't rush things or you might break something or miss a part.
Anyway, both kits fixed the paper jam problem.