Linux: Problems in Ubuntu, icons do not appear when inserting removable device

In my setup, users on my Ubuntu box are authenticated against an LDAP running on Debian. This is working very nicely, but since I upgraded from Hoary to Breezy, my icons for auto-mounted removable devices were not showing any more. This is, of course, very annoying.
After googling a bit, I came accross this bug. But none of the suggestions worked for me.
So I decided to create a real local user (i.e. a user not available in the LDAP) and see if this one still had the icons showing when auto-mounting happens. It did ;) So I guessed the local user was member of some local groups, my LDAP user wasn't member of. My guess was correct. Seems that the LDAP users have to be member of the local “users” group as well, which was the one I missed out. Below is the output of the id command for an LDAP user:

uid=1002(ldapuser) gid=513(Domain Users) groups=24(cdrom),25(floppy),29(audio),46(plugdev),100(users),109(admin),513(Domain Users)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remove copy protection from PDF documents

The story of the Cobalt Qube

Jori Hulkkonen feat. Jerry Valuri - Lo-Fiction